Discipline and success go hand in hand. You simply cannot excel in life without incorporating discipline in your life.
In today’s society, some underestimate the power that self discipline carries. They commit to very little and rarely exceed beyond what is expected of them.
What springs to mind when you think of discipline?
Discipline to me means reading the bible when you would much rather watch a programme on television, it means leaving a family gathering early so you can go home and work on your business/book/project/job application (delete as appropriate!)
According to Oxford Dictionaries, it is defined as;
“The practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behaviour”
“Activity that provides mental or physical training”
Now for my six reasons;
1. Discipline helps you to remain focused in your everyday life. You are more likely to set goals and work towards these on a daily basis. Distractions will come but they will not throw you off course as your eye is on the ball.
2. Discipline helps you to gain respect by others. Think about your place of work. I am sure you could quickly list the officers who displayed behaviours of self discipline such as excellent time keeping and meeting deadlines.
3. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle demands discipline. Discipline will get you up and out for a morning jog regardless of how cosy your bed is. Discipline will help you curb your eating habits.
4. Self control. Those with self discipline take ownership of their behaviour and think before they speak. They avoid becoming involved in petty disputes.
5. Reduced stress. Discipline means you do not leave tasks until the very last minute but you tackle them bit by bit aiming for a specific deadline.
6. You will have more free time as your day is structured. Disciplined people generally do not procrastinate.
Have I missed anything?
In which areas of your life are you self disciplined?
Which areas would you like to improve upon?