I am not a morning person, sure I wake up in time to get ready and catch my early train but anything else, NO! I have made my morning regime as pain free as possible by implementing seven rules which I will share below.
1. Plan your journey ahead of time by checking your door to door route online. Do not take the train/bus that will allow you to arrive with five minutes to spare. Always, always allow for delays. Looking and feeling flustered for a meeting or appointment will not put you in a good light.
2. Select your outfit the night before – from underwear to shoes (yes, I am being that specific!) Lay it out in a spare room or hang outside your wardrobe.
3. Select your handbag and ensure your purse, diary, travel ticket, mirror, umbrella and other items are packed in it.
4. Have a last minute look at your appointments. Are you required to bring any documentation?
5. If you wish to make calls or send emails on your commute, bring the necessary contact details. I use my commute and lunchtime to read the bible, other books, to send emails and make calls. I rarely make or take calls during weekday evenings as this time is dedicated to my family.
6. If you have young children, hang out their clothes, shoes, school bag (ensure homework and reading books are inside) the night before. Lay out their breakfast utensils.
7. Take out your evening meal unless you have a cook (aren’t you fortunate!) or plan on eating out.
What takes ten minutes at night will take you far longer in the morning. Whether it is because stress levels are higher or you are more likely to feel pressured, I believe this to be true.
Do you agree?
How do you plan from the night before?
Do your family support you on this?